Monday, August 2, 2010

The Cake

So my baby girl just turned 2!  So hard for me to grasp that, but it is what it is.  Time has flew by, seriously!
So since our camping plans changed to NOT camping, and getting my mum to bring cupcakes to the campsite, I decided to bake and decorate my 1st themed cake for my wee girl.

It really was a piece of cake. hahahaha sorry, had to say it! I baked it off in a pyrex measuring cup, that was in the shape of the cake. Once it was cool, I put it on a plate and froze it for the day, so it would be easier to frost. And it was, I cut out the hole where the doll sits, trimmed the edge around her waist so it was smoother, and frosted the green grass skirt first. Once the lines were all in place, I refroze the cake for an hour to harden it up before I worked on the flowers. That was the tricky part.  Working with a tip is a first for me, so I had to work fast since the pink was melting and sliding off the cake.  But I managed pretty good, added the stars and then covered the doll in plastic wrap, shoved her down in the hole, bada-boom bada-bing, almost done! (can you tell I watch alot of "Cake Boss"?) Added a bikini top to the doll, wrapped a lei around the bottom, added a blob of icing to the plate to push the #2 into and then popped it all back in the fridge til showtime.  
I think it turned out good for my first time.  My grandmother was a cake maker back when she was alive, and I'm sure she would have been so proud of me. Now I'm on the wait list for a cake decorating class in the fall.  Yes I am!  I need advice and to learn more, but I'm pleased with how it turned out, and tasted!!  Now that I started this new tradition I'm going to have to do it every year. But I'd do anything for my little girl.  Happy Birthday sweetness!!!

1 comment:

  1. I will be linking when and if I can cool off enough to actually write a post. It's fricken hot here ;)

    ReplyDelete