Sunday, March 17, 2013

I faced my fear and went in the gym...with machines...and people ;)

So today I hit the gym with a friend.  9:30am on a Sunday.  I was pumped and ready to face my fear of the ACTUAL gym, not just the part we do zumba classes in.  I didn't really know what to even do once I got there, but lucky for me I went with someone who has hired a PT before and had knowledge of the machines. 

Some might roll their eyes at me for being gym-dumb, but honestly....read the rest of my blog working out was never my thing before!  But this last month I have changed my life....and seeing results on so many levels...and pounds are coming off!

I started out on the treadmill. Nice safe place to begin I thought.  I did 25 mins on it at a speed of 4.4, no incline, thinking You Go girl!  Getting my sweat on!!  I was starting to suck wind a little bit by the 20 mins mark, and my legs were burning, then I look over to see this lady running like a freaking gazelle...really???  4.4 wasn't so impressive anymore.  But i'll get there.  Baby steps here.  Then it was off to the rowing machine....how hard could that be?  Holy moly, my thighs were like wobbly pops by 4mins....it's funny now thinking about it, and I loved that machine, but I need to work up to that one. again...baby steps. haha  Then we did an arm press...maybe it was called a lateral press, maybe it wasn't, either way I did 3 reps of 10 at the lightest weight. I could feel the burn in my arms but next time I might try a tiny bit more weight and go from there. (and maybe i'll read what the machine is called next time too) Then we did the bike.  I was wanting to do 15mins but my thighs were shaking like jello molds and I thought they might fall off, so I made it to 8mins I think and I was done. But you know what, it was just close to an hour at the gym...and that is 1 hour more than i've done in 10 years, so I am still pretty happy.  And it will only get easier, and I'll try more machines later. Back to zumba this week, and maybe the gym again next Sunday we shall see.  It didn't scare me off so that's a good thing!

I am loving my fitness pal app for my phone to monitor my food diary, that has been a handy tool this week too. And water, water, water. I miss pop so much and I miss chocolate, but I'm surviving and loving how I feel and also notice my sleeping has improved, no more insomnia, imagine that ;)  I'm too tired from working out to have insomnia, hahaha. 

And the best part of working out at the gym, no one even cared what size I was, or that I was a beginner.  Another fear checked off my list!! :)  Have a wonderful healthy day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment