Wednesday, April 7, 2010

My Sounds of Music

When I first had my daughter, after the first week her daddy had to go back to work, and I was left all alone with this new baby. And I found myself sitting there, holding her, trying to nurse, not having luck with that, but also I noticed that I dont think I talked to her that first week alone. My mum told me start singing to her or talking to her, but I felt silly...since i had ZERO experience with babies. I was lost, overtired and had no clue what I was doing. But I soon found out that I also did not know any children or baby lullaby's. So that first month I sang Britney Spears, Aerosmith, Christina Aguilara, any top 40 song off the radio or CMT that I knew and thus began my singing adventure with my new bundle of joy.

As the months progressed I joined a Mother Goose program for children to teach the moms and dads fun songs for children.....between you and me I think she preferred the Aerosmith songs, but who wouldn't!!....So after weeks for learning and perfecting all the hand movements and actions, it became a daily routine. When she was getting a bath, we sang "i had a little turtle, his name was tiny tim..." when I changed her bum it was " Zoom, Zoom, Zoom" or "How much is that doggie in the window". And when she didn't feel well she loves her grandmother's Von Trapp family "death" song as I call it, "oh they built the ship Titanic, and sailed the ocean blue, and they thought that the water would never go through, But the Good Lord raised his hand and said this ship will never land, it was sad when the great ship went down, to the bottom of the sea, yeah it was sad when the great ship went down, Ker-plunk it sunk like junk!" yes its a horrible song but my daughter lights up everytime we sing it. And by "we" yes I mean her father and I together, it is a duet with parts! lol Like I said...a Von Trapp family classic! hahaha

But now I find myself stuck singing. When he eats she is a big girl now and doesn't want us to feed her anymore, but she still needs help eating her oatmeal with fruit sauce every morning. She LOVES her cereal, she even signs for it every morning. (we taught her sign language which is so helpful) But we have come to a point in the road where she screams and throws a fit if I try to feed her...UNLESS I sing that famous Sound of Music song, "Doh a deer". I sing it over and over about 6 times is what it takes to get that bowl of cereal in her! But I'm almost wondering why that song? Of all the songs, and there's been hundreds I swear, why that particular song.

Backtrack a little to 6 years ago when I met my baby daddy, he mentioned to me on one of our dates that his fave movie of all time was the Sound of Music. I laughed so hard at him, and that was the first time I also learned just how sensitive he was. Oops my bad! But could that song be genetically programmed into her DNA because her daddy loves that musical so much he even knows the words to every song? Of course he will be mad that I'm telling you all this, but who cares its a good movie! I think all women will agree with me ;) But I'm not kidding it is the ONLY thing I can sing to her to get her to eat her cereal. And for how long do I have to sing that song? I try to change it up a little and sing something else and she cries and pushes the cereal away. It does make it difficult for my mum who babysits her sometimes, apparently she doesn't sing it the same way and my child wont eat cereal for her.

So is it the song + cereal combo? Or is it just mommy/baby time that I've always done with her that makes it special to her? I love our song moments, even though I've been told by her daddy that I should really stop singing or she'll think the song is supposed to sound that bad. All I care about is that my daughter thinks I'm the best singer she's ever heard! She loves my songs and all the actions and sillyness I put into every single one.

But will she be 15 and i'll still be singing Sound of Music songs? I guess there could be worse things in life...

No comments:

Post a Comment