Wednesday, June 30, 2010

friends

Friends come and go. That's the way life goes sometimes. And I think its really ok.  We don't always have to be good friends forever....sometimes people are welcomed into our lives for reasons unknown to us at the time. Its like a new romance, exciting at first, but we all know not all of them work out to last forever.  And that's ok too.  It is what helps us grow into who we are and who we might be striving to be. 

I am a firm believer that nature runs its course, as do friendships.  I have had fantastic friendships in the past come to a stand-still and not sure what we have in common anymore, and then we parted ways.  But TRUE friends  find a way later in life to come back and tap on the window and see if you want to have some tea. I think in the past the relationships I've had with friends were because of circumstances and events going on in my life at that time. Highschool, college, work places, and living in different towns all had people who meant the world to me, but they are not all still in my life. Doesn't mean I don't think about them from time to time, and wonder how they are doing now. I've changed and found new interests, as I'm sure they have too. I've gotten older and started a family, my life of going out all the time is over...for a little while at least!  Priorities change which has to affect the types of friendships I have too.

I've been on a 2 year journey of finding myself again after having the baby. Trying out new groups of friends to see if we mesh, some do, alot don't. Doesn't mean I dont care about them, just means we are not a perfect match. Or we have different goals, beliefs, values, anything really. Finding true, great, wonderful friends who would drop anything to be there for you when you need a shoulder are so hard to find as you get older. It's like finding a new significant other. It starts with trust, friendship and grows from there. The people in my life who I call my true friends are very dear to me.  And some we hang out, some we just email, some live very far away, some we haven't been able to connect alot lately do to, well, just life in general. And some I think are just starting to blossom.

It's ok to have change in your life when it comes to friendships. I need certain people at different times in my life. And they need me for different reasons. Sometimes they work out, but it's really ok if they don't.  I don't want to have any hard feelings if things fizzle...it's like all my past relationships with men.  I don't have evil thoughts when I think of them. They shaped me into who I am today. They taught me what I do NOT want in a man now, and what I remember about them is nothing but fond memories. And the same goes for friendships. Some have helped me through very sad times in my life, when friends and family have passed away there are always a  few people that stand out in my mind that helped me through those things.  Some people are your friends to introduce you to a new friend you never would have met unless that first friend found a way to connect you.   I have a few of those friends now, and I hold them very dear to my heart.

People find a way into your life at a certain point for a very specific reason.  Even if you have no idea what that reason is yet. They will shape you and change you, without you even realize its happening. I have open arms when it comes to meeting new people. I don't feel right when I hear someone say, "I have enough friends".  I don't think that's possible. And I think its sad really. We all want to be loved and wanted and have someone who misses us. We all need someone to confide in and talk out issues with. And I dont think anyone really likes dining alone, all the time.

Friends keep us grounded, they also put it all in perspective. They listen and then listen more. And when you are ready to hear it or not, a true friend will tell you what they think. You don't have to always like it, but if you didn't want their opinion you wouldn't be their friend anyways. Right?

I'm curious to see who my next friend will be....

No comments:

Post a Comment